Last edit : 2013/06/16
Engines and libraries
Maybe you are looking for Engines for iOS, Android or your browser.
The most popular game engines are Pygame & Pyglet for 2D and Python-Ogre & Panda3D for... 3D development.
If you don't know what to pick check these links :
This is an exhaustive list of game engines for Python and some of them are not maintained anymore and will certainly not work for python3, still, they are working. If you are a beginner don't panic and just stick with the starred project.
Dates in front of the project names are showing activity and nothing more. Some old projects can be working flawlessly, it just helps to filter out the really old unmaintained projects.
- 2013-06 cocos2d "cocos2d is a framework for building 2D games, demos, and other graphical/interactive applications". (pyglet fork)
- 2013-06 FIFE is a cross platform game creation framework
- 2013-05 NodeBox is a library for generating 2D animations with Python programming code (pyglet fork)
- 2013-05 Kivy "Open source Python library for rapid development of applications that make use of innovative user interfaces, such as multi-touch apps." Source
- 2013-05 pySFML "Python bindings for SFML, based on the final release of SFML2" (supports python3) The author is different form pySFML2 that's just bad naming :3
- 2013-04 pySFML2 "pythonic binding for SFML 2, which supports Python 2 and 3"
- 2013-04 Pygame SDL
- lib : OcempGUI a GUI engine for Pygame and more
- lib : Albow is a graphical user interface toolkit for use in PyGame-based games.
- lib : Gloss Pygame OpenGL wrapper
- lib : inputbox is "a function to display an inputbox and return the inputted text string".
- lib : PGU is a collection of useful modules for writing games with PyGame
- lib : PyGalaxy is an open source library of useful functions that make creating 2D games in pygame easier.
- lib : pyganim "A Pygame module to make sprite animation dead simple."
- lib : pygsear is a set of python libraries which work with pygame.objects so that you can get right to the coding of your game.
- lib : QGL is an intentionaly minimal scenegraph for rendering textured quads and text strings to an OpenGL display.
- lib : Waldi is a Tile Engine for writing rectangular-tile-based games using Python and PyGame.
- 2013-02 Pyglet OpenGL
- lib : Gletools exposes advanced OpenGL functionality like GLSL, Framebuffers, Float textures etc.
- lib : kytten is a Pyglet-based GUI library which aims to be easy to use and customizable.
- lib : simplui provides a lightweight and flexible GUI toolkit
- lib : Squirtle provides a very simple interface for rendering SVGs
- lib : Terminal Delusion is a package for constructing and animating scenes of 3D objects, moving the camera, controlling the lighting and so on.
- 2011-03 Grease A component-based entity framework for creating game engines. (pyglet fork)
- 2008-06 Mirra is a 2D openGL python framework (not maintained anymore)
- 2007-12 Pycap is a python wrapper of the PopCap Game Framework
- 2013-04 Panda3D
- lib : PandAI strives to create a highly efficient and desirable collection of videogame.
- 2012-12 Soya3D Soya 3D is a very high level 3D engine for Python.
- 2012-08 PyCrystal Python bindings of Crystal Space
- 2011-10 Python-Ogre "Python-Ogre is a free open source Python interface to a wide range of C++ libraries. Focused primarily on supporting the Ogre 3D graphics library, along with a number of supporting Graphics and Gaming libraries."
- 2010-03 Horde3D Python Bindings a small open source 3D rendering engine.
- 2009-10 Pyggel "(Python Graphical Game Engine + Libraries) will ease the learning curve of getting into 3d programming, while also having a strong enough framework for full-sized applications."
- 2009-09 TrenchCube is "an Open Source code base that will be used to develop a 3D application development browser plugin".
- 2008-XX Delta3D is "a full-function game engine appropriate for a wide variety of modeling & simulation applications", python-bindings included.
- Pyrr (can't find a link) is a python wrapper for Irrlicht 3D engine
Engines with an IDE
Specific engines or 2D&3D engines.
- 2013-06 Ren'Py is a visual novel engine that helps you use words, images, and sounds to tell stories with the computer.
- 2013-05 PyOpenGL is an OpenGL wrapper. Source
- 2011-05 DirectPython11 (new DirectPython) DirectPython 11 is an open source C++ extension to the Python programming language which provides basic access to the Direct3D 11 API.
- 2011-01 PyMT is a framework for making accelerated multitouch UI
- 2010-XX Golem is a Python framework for learning and developing.
- 2010-10 PyODE Wrapper for the Open Dynamics Engine
- 2009-08 The Python Computer Graphics Kit is a generic 3D package that can be useful in any domain where you have to deal with 3D data.
- 2009-07 GLEWpy aims to bring advanced OpenGL extensions to Python.
- 2006-02 SPyRE is a lightweight OpenGL graphics engine, written entirely in Python. It includes a variety of cameras, several interfaces for user interaction, lighting controls and fog.
- 2005-05 Slut is a programming framework for generative, synthetic, interactive, network-enabled graphics.
- Unity with Boo
- rabbyt is a sprite library with C bindings and therefore intended to be fast.
- legume "provides non-reliable, reliable and in-order transmission of messages via UDP"
- PodSixNet Lightweight Multiplayer Game Library
- PyGameNet Network lib snippet
- pyevent Python wrapper for libevent
- Twisted is an event-driven networking engine
- pyglet-twisted Twisted's networking capabilities to be fully integrated within the Pyglet event loop
- pygnet is a minimal layer on top of Twisted, for pygame.
- Tofu is a practical high-level network game engine.
- poise-sfx is a python extension to create procedural sound effects.
- PyAudio provides Python bindings for PortAudio, the cross-platform audio I/O library.
- PyMedia allows you to parse, demutiplex, multiplex, decode and encode wav, mp3, ogg, avi, divx, dvd, cdda etc files manipulations.
- pyo is a Python module written in C to help digital signal processing script creation.
- Game Objects Algorithms for games and realtime applications
- Planar 2D Geometry library written in both Python and C
- PyEigen Python bindings for the Eigen linear algebra library
- Psyco "Extension module which can greatly speed up the execution of any Python code" Nice if you need to speed up an algorithm easily.
- skellington A game skeleton generator (made for pyweek, but also generally useful)
Move or put libs which are deprecated, leaving a comment explaining why.
- 2010-03 pgreloaded also known as pygame2 (Python3 supported and not 2.x)